meta name="p:domain_verify" content="83432fc69a1d6df071f49df584f9d839 Laurl Designs: What's the word, hummingbird? communicating with design speak

Sunday, April 14, 2013

What's the word, hummingbird? communicating with design speak


There are so many design terms from around the world and I am, like most Americans, I use American phonetics to figure out the pronunciations... which might be "correct" or might not. I was speaking with a fellow designer and referred to ikat as I-cat, you know...
 
Textile Trend: Ikat instead of EEE- COT. I quick corrected myself, embarrassed of my faux pas and my bad habit. She laughed and said she does that all the time with that word. There are many of those words,
 

DAM-ask or da-MASK

 pill-i-ster or PIE-laster



that I would always prefer to speak correctly. However, though pronunciations, for some, indicate knowledge, I think it is understanding of the meanings and applications that convey the true knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They will post as soon as they are moderated.