meta name="p:domain_verify" content="83432fc69a1d6df071f49df584f9d839 Laurl Designs: Chandelier project

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chandelier project

My Sunday project this week was a chandelier shipped with the wrong finish. Below is a before and after of the finish. The chandelier needed a creamy white finish with just a little rust showing through. It came with a lot of rust and a little white showing.
So with liquitex in white, yellow orche and phthalo blue
liquitex medium
water
a wide brush
a  few sea sponges
This finish was created!

I started by mixing the white and blue and medium in a 1:1:1 ratio and lightly sponging the chandelier in about 30 spots generally over the surface
Then I mixed white, yellow ochre and medium in a 10:1:10 ratio (in otherword very little ochre) to slightly tint the white to a warm white. This I thinned with water and sponged the entire surface intentionally leaving some of the rust in the veining and on the bottoms on the curves- where water would normally stay longer.
Lastly, I mixed the white and the medium in a 1:1 ratio and lighting went back over the peice to add some highlights.
The project took about 2 hours to do, 2 hours in my head for planning!

Here is the before and after... what I'm not showing is my manicure- that is a sad tale which will end in polish remover and more polish. There is no recovery when acrylic paint meets nail polish!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They will post as soon as they are moderated.